Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Who Do I Think I Am?

Well, I'm a homeowner trying to do the best I can with what I've got. For the last 15 years or so I've been in the office furniture industry designing offices and environments as well as researching human behavior, ergonomics, psychological and social environmental factors, cockpit layout, space flow, etc. all relating to the space we, as humans occupy. Through the course of these 15 years, I have been required to be computer savvy, sketch and render like a demon and most pertinent of all to be able to prototype and build what I design. These prototyping and building skills have helped me to hone my ability to work on the home. Also, the research and current data I have to comb through regarding residential trends, technology and architecture give me a good perspective of relevant home issues.

I am in the process of restoring my second home. My first, a 1920's Arts&Crafts Bungalow, was purchased in 1997, completed and sold in 2002. The house was done right and against my Real Estate Agent's recommendation, I asked top dollar. Low and behold, one week later I got my asking price. My only regret is that I didn't get to enjoy the newly redone kitchen for longer than a couple of weeks.

My current home is a turn-of-the-century modified Arts&Crafts brick 4-Square. My wife and I moved in a week after we were married. Since then we have done quite a bit of work on the house and just recently (pretty much) finished the kitchen. But more on the projects that we've done and plan to do in later entries... so stay tuned!

No comments: