Monday, January 28, 2008

Trying a New Header

That pic in the header really is not my house. Although having something like that on a bit of property would be awesome. Especially if the sunset/sunrise came along with it. The pic was just one I liked and the colors came close to what the blog colors were set to... and viola. 'Chopped and quartered.

The home I currently have is an American Foursquare built in 1910. It has the beginning elements of the Craftsman style on the first floor, especially the dining area. I say "beginning" of the Craftsman style because it really didn't take hold until a little later time period. This style was also present in my previous home, an Art & Crafts Bungalow. So what makes an American Foursquare? Primarily it is shaped like a box, with a four room floor plan, two-and-a-half stories high, hipped roof, front-facing dormer, and a full width porch with wide stairs. They were popular constructions from 1890 through the 1940s. Mine is a full brick example and set atop a little hill. Total square footage is 2600sqft plus the attic which one can stand in and the fully poured basement. The basement, I have been told is a rarity in a home of this period indicating the home was built by progressive owners that paid for "the best" the time had to offer. It was also evident in the large beams used as they were larger than the norm of the day.

But, enough of that. Projects will be slow from now until the Spring. For now, I just need to keep moving the snow out of my driveway.

No comments: